Katie trained at the Laine Theatre Arts and Guildford School of Acting. She has previously appeared in on stage in Thursford Christmas Spectacular, Cinderella, 42nd Street Gala and Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. Katie has also appeared on television shows Mr Selfridge, Grantchester and Endeavour.
We managed to grab Katie for 5 minutes to talk about her starring role of Baby, a much-loved character from one of the most popular movies of the 80’s.
1. Can you tell us about your career to date and how you became Baby in the stage version of Dirty Dancing?
Dirty Dancing is my first big job since graduating and so far it has been wonderful. I feel very lucky to be able to use my acting and dancing skills in such a great show.
2. What do you love about your character Baby?
Baby Houseman is such a joy to play. The journey from young girl to woman is something every girl in the audience can relate to. I’m very lucky I can have so much fun with the role and work with such talented people.
3. What has been the biggest challenge for you with this role?
My biggest challenge when playing the role would have to be acting like I’m not a very good dancer! I am first and foremost a dancer, I have taken ballet class since I was 4 so in the beginning being uncoordinated was hard. I think I’ve mastered it now though and it’s such a fun part of the role!
4. What is your favourite scene to act in Dirty Dancing?
My favourite scene would have to be Sylvia and Mickey ‘Loverboy’ in Act 2! It’s just so enjoyable and so iconic!
5. What will surprise people about this production of Dirty Dancing?
The set will 100% surprise the audience! It’s so brilliantly designed and I feel is a huge part of why this tour is so successful. It gives so much more impact to the story.
And just for fun…
6. Who’s the funniest person in the cast of Dirty Dancing on Stage in real life?
Funniest cast member! There’s a few we have such a laugh. I feel very lucky to be working with such great people
7. Who in the show is most like their character?
Lewis ‘Johnny Castle’ Griffiths! I mean he’s just Johnny, he’s amazing.
8. What actress or actor do you most admire?
I admire Rachel McAdams as an actress. She is so versatile with her characters; she’s incredible.
9. If you could choose any production in the world, what show would you most like to star in next?
I would love to be part of another iconic musical, something like Hairspray or Chicago.
10. What do you sing in the shower?
Anything from Oasis to Beyoncé. Whatever shuffle fancies giving me!
You can follow Katie on Twitter – @KatieEccles_
Dirty Dancing The Classic Story on Stage is currently on at The Edinburgh Playhouse and is touring the UK until the Autumn. For the list of tour dates and to buy tickets please visit their website: dirtydancingontour.com